History of Thiruvananthapuram Rural Police
At the time of the formation of Kerala State on 1st November 1956 Travancore was divided into four districts viz. Trivandrum, Quilon, Alleppey and Kottayam. The area comprising the city of Trivandrum within the Revenue District of Trivandrum was constituted as a separate Police District under the Commissioner of Police vide G.O.(MS)No.570/Home/dated 07.11.1962. The Thiruvananthapuram Rural Police District was formed on 09.10.1967 comprising of the rural areas of Thiruvananthapuram Revenue District. Sri. P K Mohamed Hassan is the head of Thiruvananthapuram Rural Police for the period from 09.10.1967 to 25.10.1967.
Formally the District Police Office, Thiruvananthapuram Rural was functioning in a rented building at Kuravankonam, Kowdiar Thiruvananthapuram. In the year 2009 District Police Office was shifted to the new building at PMG, Thiruvananthapuram. The building was owned by Kerala Police and the officers of special units like District Special Branch, DCRB, Women Cell etc housed in the building.